Skip to main content

Prom?

"Dude, her friend told me that she'd be open to you asking her out." That's how conversations used to happen in high school, back in the days of 2008. Otherwise known as a decade ago.  I have no idea how kids in high school ask each other out these days. I imagine they just send each other emojis until one of them sends back a '100' emoji and then it's on. As always, I will find a way to turn this into a sports analogy, but first a look back.

I take you back to 2008. I had a flip phone with limited texting while everyone had those cool slick black phones that magically slid up and unveiled an actual keyboard. Not only were these practical, but they were sturdy, as I once witnessed a friend of mine throw his through a wall in a fit of rage. I also drove an old blue minivan, and did so without shame. Hard to imagine that in the winter, I found myself without a prom date for the coming spring. Which, honestly, I couldn't have cared less about. I hated school dances and had never once had a date to one. The year before, my friend Adam tried to get me to go to Homecoming. I think it was Homecoming? I told him, nah, can't find a date bro. He turns to the girl sitting next to him in our Spanish 2 class and shamelessly asks, "Hey, you got a date to the dance?" She bashfully says no. "Hey, you wanna go with Nick?" "Sure," she replies, as if she's answering a question that she doesn't know the answer to. The girl, and yes I still remember who it was, and I never spoke again.

But of course, this is prom, and if you don't have a date to prom you're a bigger loser than... well, a guy that drives a minivan and uses a flip phone, I guess. Back then, everything was heresay. (Fake names) "I hear Jimbo is planning to ask Stefania to the prom next week." Fuck! I was gonna ask Stefania! "Mike is going to Pauline's party to ask her next weekend." Dammit! That was my backup. I had scenarios laid out. My options A, B, C, plus my last ditch plan and my longshot. Plans A, B, and C had all found dates in the same week and I was fucked. But then, something happened. I heard through a mutual friend of a friend that my long shot would be open to me asking.

The rumors were true and she was. I was her last ditch, as I'm sure she was somebody else's last ditch that she would've rather went with. No matter, these things are all about looks and the look of it was too good to be passed up. In this case, as far fetched as the rumors appeared, they were true. The rumors were not out there just by chance. Sound the alarm, my sports analogy is coming! The LeBron to the Lakers rumors are not out there by chance. He is gone, folks. It hit me forreal yesterday, when Adrian Wojnarowski reported that LeBron wouldn't want to be the "first superstar to commit to the Lakers." Typically, I would use these types of rumors to wipe my ass with as having been through the LeBron free agency saga 3 times now, you hear fucking everything. But this is Woj. If you're not familiar with this reporter, picture him as my mutual friend telling me that a girl is interested in me asking. He is the mouthpiece, and he has a reliable source. He doesn't wanna fuck me over, I'm his friend and I'll be seriously ticked if he leads me into a trap. He needs to make sure the information is concrete before coming to me. Woj has a reputation in the NBA reporting business like Zoey Barnes had in 'House of Cards.' Until she got pushed into a train by Kevin Spacey. Spoiler alert. And BY THE WAY there is no House of Cards without Kevin Spacey. Does he fondle underage men?  I mean just look at him, of course he does. But goddamn can the man act.

Going back to the less controversial topic, the LeBron to LA rumors, new reports are Stephen A Smith receiving a phone call "after hours" last night that LeBron reached out to Kevin Durant to try inticing him to go to the Lakers with him. Who do you think called Smith? Durant, the cupcake eating snake, forever trying to justify joining a 73 win team and definitely not riding the dick of a crowned champion, leaked the information to try and reshape his public image. Read between the lines. Nobody is more connected with NBA superstars than Stephen A Smith. He was the first to report James, Dwyane Wade, and Chris Bosh would team up with the Miami Heat in the summer of 2010 and everybody laughed at him. Guys, where there's smoke, there's a fire (on the lake, as haters of the city of Cleveland love to bring up).

Obviously, we're all trying to get our hopes up that James comes back. But when you're resorted to hearing things through the rumor mill from people that are connected, you're already screwed. I have a very bad feeling that this will not end well for us, just as my prom experience did not end well for me. But that's a story for another day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NICE JOB YOU FUCKING KICKER

HOW ARE WE NOT ON HARD KNOCKS EVERY YEAR: If you don't think the last 18 hours don't represent everything that the Browns choose to be, then I really don't know what to tell you. Is there a more comically inept franchise in the history of sports? Where else do these stories happen?  Linebackers arrested for insider trading, receivers with more talent than God that can't lay off drugs meant for college freshmen, OUR PETS HEADS ARE FALLIN OFF!  Hard Knocks needs to have the Browns on speedial the way Leonardo DiCaprio has 19 year old models on his. Josh Gordon is like George Costanza when he tried to get fired from the Yankees, dragging the World Series trophy in the parking lot and spilling spaghetti sauce all over a vintage Babe Ruth jersey.  Over the past few years, I'm convinced Gordon could've walked right into the general manager's office, shit directly onto his desk, and they would've retaliated by... firing the head coach.  "Let'

The Cavs, football picks, and why I'm Rocky getting his ass kicked by Apollo Creed

The Cleveland Cavaliers are back in the news again.  It's oddly the first thing that has happened to the Cavs since they played in the 2018 NBA Finals and nothing has happened since then and nothing you can say will change my mind. Kyrie Irving called LeBron (like really, do I need to include his last name for you to know who I'm talking about?  LeBron... Smith?) and apologized.  Since the Cavs apparently don't play basketball anymore, I'm gonna talk at nauseam about it. The first thing I honestly thought about were all the people on Cavs Twitter that are always, "It'S tIme TO mOvE oN, LeBroN DoEsn'T plAY HeRE anYmoRe."  Oh for fuck sake.  The Cleveland Cavaliers, the team that used to wear THESE JERSEYS made the NBA Finals FOUR CONSECUTIVE YEARS. They just had a team with 3 future Hall of Famers, with arguably the best player of all-time and inarguably the best player of the generation.  So yeah, the city is gonna dwell on that for some ti

The Browns hire Freddie, and what's been happening in my life in the month since my last post

I've been sick 3(!) seperate times in the last month.  I've had more diarrhea than Steelers fans watching the Browns' last drive against the Ravens, you know, the one that knocked them out of the playoffs (HAHAHA).  By the way, 'diarrhea' might be the hardest word to spell in the English language.  Maybe that's why they spelled it that way - the wordmakers were going to make it as inconvenient as possible for anybody to ever use it.  Oops. So now that we got the important stuff out of the way, on to today's update:  The Browns hired Freddie Kitchens to be their head coach.  Here is my take on the hire:  I have no take. Allow me to explain.  For the better part of the last month, I have seen #BrownsTwitter have one opinion after another about who the next head coach of the Browns should be.  "Don't hire Mike McCarthy, he failed in Green Bay!"  "Adam Gase?  The guy that the players supposedly hated?  PASS."  "Bruce Arians,